Being a Service development volunteer
Our Service Development Committee works to make sure the way we support people is relevant, helpful and in the best interests of our community. You’ll have the opportunity to work on our guidelines and policies, improving our support.
- To consider and approve grants according to our guidelines.
- To consider novel or contentious cases which might fall outside the guidelines.
- To reflect on any decisions made by the committee, and how they can inform future policy and guidelines.
- To consider appeals against grant decisions.
- To consider the feedback received from community members through the impact assessments, and report considerations to the Board of Trustees.
- To review the comments, compliments and complaints policy on an annual basis with reference to the potential risk for a complaint or legal action.
- To review randomly selected cases and decisions made three times a year.
- To observe and discuss trends in grants and support expenditure, as well as the characteristics of the community members accessing support.
- To help review grant and support services policies and procedures to ensure they are relevant and suitable for the needs of people who are eligible for help.
- To attend two committee meetings per year, around 2h30m each time.
- To signpost people to our team if they need any support by giving our helpline number or taking details and asking a member of our team to get in touch.
Qualities and skills you’ll need:
- Personable and approachable with a strong sense of integrity.
- Ability to speak confidently and enthusiastically to groups and individuals.
- Ability to actively listen and show empathy.
- Patience and a warm, friendly attitude.
- Willingness to follow current advice to keep yourself and others safe.
- Ability to remain impartial and confidential at all times.
- Respectful of other people’s views and values.
- Good communication, networking and organisational skills.
- Digitally aware and confident.
- Ability to show initiative and give feedback to our team.
Training and support:
- Complete induction and essential training for the role.
- Access to online resources and regular training.
- Regular contact with our volunteering team for support and guidance.
- Support in adapting to any changes affecting your role.
- Role-related expenses.
Step 1: Complete a short application form.
Step 2: We’ll invite you to an informal chat about the role.
We’d love to hear from you! If you have any questions or just want to chat about the role, please contact our volunteering team manager Beverley Archer: [email protected]