Being a Support volunteer
Our Support volunteers play a key role in assist members and their families who are isolated, facing challenges and would benefit from the support of a fellow engineer. We understand everyone has different needs, so our volunteers are closely matched to those who have told us they would welcome such support.
- Offering a friendly, positive, and encouraging ear to people who may be lonely or isolated.
- Offering emotional support in times of change.
- Offering practical support, for example help with shopping, hospital visits or dealing with form filling and paperwork.
- Providing encouragement in finding work.
- Talking to people about your common experience as an engineer and about developments in the profession.
- Encouraging people to use the full range of Foothold services.
Qualities and skills you’ll need:
- A friendly, listening ear.
- Patience and a warm and friendly attitude.
- Willingness to follow current advice to keep yourself and others safe.
- Ability to remain impartial and confidential at all times.
- Respectful of other people’s views and values.
- Good communication and organisational skills.
- Can work on their own initiative and give feedback to staff at Foothold.
Training and support:
- Complete induction and essential training for the role.
- Access regular online resources/regular training.
- Regular contact with your Volunteer Manager (telephone or other) for support and guidance.
- To respond to service changes and requirements.
- Role-related expenses.
Any other Requirements:
- It is essential to remember you are not to give advice to members; if somebody requires support you can signpost them to Foothold’s Support Services team via the helpline, or take their details and ask a member of the Foothold Support Services team to contact them.
- Due to the vulnerable nature of the people we support, we will require two references.
Step 1: Complete a short application form.
Step 2: We’ll invite you to an informal chat about the role.
We’d love to hear from you! If you have any questions or just want to chat about the role, please contact our volunteering team manager Beverley Archer: [email protected]